Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Welcome!

Hello!

                       *Press CC to view captions for this video.

My name is Kurt Schaefer and I teach high school chemistry at a K-12 charter school outside of Boulder, CO.  I came to Colorado from the East Coast over 20 years ago (I'm originally from sunny Buffalo, NY and went to college outside of Philadelphia) and fell in love with it instantly.  While traveling is a major passion of mine, I'm always excited to return home to Colorado - it's truly spectacular in all seasons. 

My interest in the Ed Tech program is rooted primarily in my love of incorporating technology into my classroom.  Kids love it, and it opens up a window to the outside world, providing them opportunities to test and explore things we normally can't in a high school science classroom: particle accelerators, nuclear fusion and fission, you name it!  Rather than telling them how nature works, I challenge them to figure it out for themselves via lab work and simulated experiments.  I'm fortunate enough to work at a school and in a district that stresses technology integration and educational risk taking, and I'm truly excited to transition from technology user to technology innovator.  Rather than relying on others' websites, animations. apps and simulations, I'll soon be able to create my own!

When I'm not at school, I love traveling.  I was lucky enough to go to Italy twice last year (this happens to celebrities, not teachers, right?).  My favorite area, hands down, is the Amalfi Coast:
                                     Positano, as seen from the bay

                                     The view from the top of Capri

I look forward to working with everyone in the Ed Tech program over the next two years.  I'm already having a blast!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home